Tuesday, June 21, 2011

At The Kitchen


Experiment #1

Many of you may already heard of Macaroons right? Since it is quite expensive in the market and being in Kuching, it doesn't give me any pr
ivilege either to get one easily. So I decided to mak
e it myself. *Senyum bangga*.


This is a sample picture. Errr I didn't make these. haha

After a lot of research (tak la banyak mana pun..hehe) of the recipe, comparison here and there, watched a few videos of how they make it, and read all the tips and stuff, I'm ready to make my own experiment #1. You see, first try neh mmg tak expect la jadi perfect terus. Maybe akan jadi tak cantik, buruk atau worst, tak menjadi langsung smpai tak bleh makan. haha.. Harap2 tak jadi la kan.

The ingredients are pretty easy actually. Let me share mine here:

Ingredients

  1. 175g icing sugar
  2. 125g ground almonds (Almond powder)
  3. 3 large free-range egg whites
  4. 75g caster sugar

For the filling

  1. 150g butter, softened
  2. 75g icing sugar
For the fillings, fyi, can be made as cupcake's icing to
o. The easiest recipe for icing ever and the yummiest that I've ever tried. But it's up to you to do the fillings. Boleh jugak letak nutella ke, jam strawberri k
e, or make your own meringue and cream cheese then put in the middle of the macaroons. For my first experiment though, I choose to have Strawberry jam as my fillings because malas nak buat fillings btol2. haha...

As I was writing, my macaroons are actually done and disejukkan. And I found out there are a lot of error and my macaroons looked more like a colourful small pancakes than a small cookie. hahaha..

Ok, let me tell you one by one step. Be warned, this is a correct recipe, but a lot of chef out there said that don't expect too much for you to succeed on the first try. Because even though the ingredients are so easy, the technique and environme
nt however are the essential part.

1st Tips: Don't bake on a humid and hot day. I did, and look at how it turned out. Why you may ask? Because kita guna telur putih kan, telur putih apabila di-whisked, it is mostly made by air. If it is surrounded by humid air, our mixture yg ada telur td akan jadi separate dgn mixture dia. So tak menjadi. Nak elakkan dia seperate, sila sentiasa whisk kan telur anda ya. haha..Aku ni cakap mcm expert plak kan. haha

2nd tips: Guna telur yg dah di-room temperature kan. Jgn keluar dr peti ais terus guna. Sblm baking tu, sediakan telur tu kt luar 2-3 jam dulu. Lagi bagus kalau ditinggalkan sehari. Why? Google sendiri. hahaha..boleh plak kan... Aku pun kurang pasti knapa, expert ckp cmtu buat jela, ye dok?

3rd tips: Sediakan semua bahan2 sblm mula. Nanti kecoh satu dapur, tumpah sana sini. haha.. Why? Sebab buat benda ni perlu cepat. You have to mind your telur, your mixture and stuff so that dia xkan separate ke ape ke,so kena cepat.

  • Mula2, pre-heat the oven to 160 C. Campurkan almond powder and icing sugar dlm satu mangkuk.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. Tgk gambo kt bwh, mcm tu la ghupe dia.


  • Ok part ni susah sikit. Sebab after I did it, dia mengeras, bukannya lagi lembut. -.- Since you guys nak buat colourful kan? So that telur + gula mixture td, separate kan into a few bowls, seberapa banyak colour you nak la. I make 2 colors, pink & purple. I found out that all recipe out there dia buat yg xde kaler so telur dia sikit bila dah di separate kan. My suggestion, yang mixture Almond + icing sugar tadi, separate jugak into berapa bowl you dah separate utk kaler td. You agak2 la tgk serbuk almond you tu bila di campur dgn telur td, cukup tak? Sebab bila I buat, dia tak cukup, dia keras nak mampus mcm biskut dah. haha.. So what I do is I add up one more egg white and a few sudu of caster sugar and whisk it again.
  • Ok chop! Sebelum masukkan 2 mixture tadi, nak ingatkan, jgn campur terus mendadak. Letak slowly setengah dulu then FOLD it. Bukan mix it. Paham? tak? Ce try tgk video recipe ni, technique dia. Actually macam2 resipe boleh buat, tp yg penting technique, so you have to see it with your eyes jugak.
Ini video recipe buat macaroons. You can try his way too, but tgk la technique dia. I learn from him. Sorry can't upload it here, internet sucks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkvjorgPnvY

  • The final batter should be the colour of pale ivory (if you haven't coloured it) and smooth and thick but flowing (dia macam magma,yg gunung berapi tu..). A ribbon of batter dropped from a spoon onto the top of the remaining batter should take about 30 seconds to disappear. Again, please refer to video.


  • Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Pipe small rounds of the macaroon mixture, about 3cm across, onto the baking sheets. Give the baking sheets a sharp tap on the work surface to ensure a good ‘foot’. Leave to stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to form a slight skin. This is important – you should be able to touch them lightly without any mixture sticking to your finger. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.

I am no expert but this is how I make these. It turn out okay, but the "feet" just overflow and frilly. Means dia terkeluar. So i found that the solution is to just let the piped batter rest for awhile before putting in into the oven, maybe around 1-2 hours instead of 15 mins.
Baking this takes time, so be patient, do it slowly and selamat mencuba! Hehehe... Oh, I suggest find a better recipe than mine here. Do some research and tips first. Here I just lay out my opinion and my way.

Here's some website that helped me out and where I took the pictures. haha



ENJOY!

p/s: I tak sempat nak amik gmbr my own macaroons sbb habis dimakan. wawawa~ Plus tak cantik mana pun anyway. hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment